Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ch.8-11

Ch. 8 Making Sense
I never thought that extracting DNA was easy. I figured it would take a team of researchers and a well equipped lab, but Shubin proved me wrong when he said that we can extract DNA in our own kitchen, with just easily accessible ingredients such as dish wash soap, water, salt, etc.
Shubin called DNA an "extraordinarily powerful window into life's history" in the first page of the chapter, but on the next page, he called DNA goop. I was shocked and amused at the same time because i figured that this chapter will be informative and boring because of the way he described DNA the first time. I was also shocked to find out that genes involved in the sense of smell was in every cell. I thought they were only in the nasal area, but i found out that the genes in the nasal area are the only ones active. Our genes are amazing. Shubin described that "some people can detect the odor molecules in a green bell pepper at a concentration of less than one part per trillion". He compared that to "picking out one grain of sand from a mile-long beach."

Ch. 9 Vision
I loved how Shubin described humans as "a mosaic of bits and pieces found in virtually everything else on the planet." It concludes his point on evolution that we, organisms, are all parts of each other, even those in the past. Shubin's use of pictures and diagrams helped me understand the importance of each part of the eye. I found out that as eyes evolve, visual acuity increases. I did not know that vertebrates and invertebrates have different types of eyes. invertebrates have tissues that fold a couple times, while vertebrates' tissues do not fold. Its amazing that the eyeless gene by Gehring can create eyes on the antennas, legs, etc, of a fly. However,it started to get me nauseous when Gehring started to switch the eyeless gene on other organisms such as a mouse with a fly gene. This switch created a mouse with fly eyes, which I find a bit disgusting. However disgusting I may find this, I can't think other than that Gehring made a major breakthrough that advanced science.

Ch 10 Ears
Its amazing that two of the ear bones in a mammal corresponds to pieces of the jaw in reptiles. The sturctures of organisms are crazy as research is further developed. For example, finding a similarity between sharks and humans is unbelievable. Its amazing how hair is an essential part of our body when all we see is it standing limp on our head and our arms and legs. What we don't clearly see is that hair in our noses catches dust from entering our body while hair in our ear makes nerve cells send an electrical impulse to the brain just by bending. I never knew that fluid in the inner ear swishes when we accelerate. When ever I am in a rollercoaster, I will try to remember the reason why I have the feeling in my ears.

Ch 11 The Meaning of it All
Although everyone are descendents from their parents and grandparents, they are not exact replicas of their ancestors. By the seventy-fifth generation, the first generation and the seventy-fifth will not look at all related. Mutations happen and different combinations occur. Like this example, humans and this generation's organisms are descendents of the first generation's organisms even though they may not look even close to this generation. This is how Shubin was able to decrease the complications of evolution into a highly understood concept.

Your Inner Fish was a very informative book, that helped me prepare for class. It was a great book and I am very thankful that Mr. Tisor assigned us this amazing book; however, I am glad it ended. I will keep in mind of Shubin's book as I further receive infromation about evolution and about our bodies. I can truthfully agree with Nature as they reviewed that "Shubin's simple, passionate writing may turn more than a few high school students into aspiring biologist."

No comments:

Post a Comment