Saturday, August 20, 2011

Chapter 9: Vision and Chapter 10: Ears

Chapter 9:

Whoah. Freaky chapter.

I've known a lot about the eye. Having had many visits with my optometrist, I know the basic anatomy as well as more detailed functions of the eye. In fact, I've even considered optometry as a potential major in college, but decided to put it aside due to other interests.

This chapter reminded me of scary movies. Especially when I read about the eyeless gene.. goosebumps. It was really weird to read about the placement of this eyeless gene, and that anywhere you turned it on in the body, an eye grew there. WEIRD. So basically if I decided for some reason I wanted to put an eyeless gene in my foot and turn it on, I would grow an eye there... yeah... not a pleasant thought. But I guess it would be cool to have a hidden third eye, as long as no one saw it.

I also am very thankful we have color vision. The ability to see color is one of the most astounding abilities (I think) we could have, because color is beautiful. If we were forced to see in black and white, I don't think I'd be very happy and the world would be much more melancholy.

Chapter 10:

In addition to chapter nine, I do know my own share about ears as well. I saw a show on television one time explaining how the liquids in your ears cause you to balance correctly, and if those liquids are offset, our whole body is offset. Ears are very interesting. The middle ear consists of so many smaller functions that form this small organ that allows us to hear, balance, define pressure, and other functions.

To add to that, the ears and eyes are so different it's incredible. What an eye sees and an ear hears can be completely different. As you may imagine, this confuses our brain at times. But our ears and eyes have found a way to coexist together and work together in their weird way and function as a whole system along with the other sense organs in our body. Well put chapter Mr. Shubin.

Devin Larscheid

No comments:

Post a Comment