Saturday, August 13, 2011

Chapter 7

When I first read the title of the chapter I got really excited because I've recently got into lifting weights, working out, and all that good stuff. So, I was pretty giddy. Unfortunately, the body building described throughout the chapter wasn't the kind I was interested in... Nevertheless, the title was correct. The body and how it came to be is mind boggling. So many things factor into it. I really liked the fact that science can be rejected and ignored and be cited as irrelevant, but in later times can be "the missing puzzle piece" of some sorts. In this Chapter, Sprigg's and Gurich's impressions and fossils were "unremarkable", but later on Glaessner looked at the rocks from their stuff. It goes to show by double checking little details like that can make a huge difference. The rocks were actually 15 to 20 million years older making them from the Pre-Cambrian Period, thus making those fossils the oldest creatures with bodies.

That's how things amaze me. Things we hold onto right now as "reliable and true"... what if they can be disproved in the future. That sort of thing psyches you out.

Attention to detail is the mark of a scholar.

No comments:

Post a Comment