Saturday, August 20, 2011

LAST ONE!!!!!

chapter.8
This time Shubin has gone over another part of our bodies: the nasal system. It's funny how every chapter has a at least one or more fact that I have learned or heard before appear in the chapter and Shubin explains it further. I know that the smell comes in through my nose and reach the brain to tell what it is. Then, Shubin's explanation about how odor molecules attach to receptors inside the nasal system which send signal to my brain to stimulate. Furthermore, it is remarkable how humans' sight has been improved as our bodies knocked down some of those smell genes. We evolve to survive in the nature. SURVIVAL TO THE FITTEST!

chapter. 9
The most interesting and my favorite chapter of this book. As Shubin slightly mentioned in previous chapter, this chapter is about our vision and how molecules in our bodies gather these lights. I didn't know that humans have higher accuracy on vision because we have more developed eyes than other mammals. I never imagined that light-gathering molecules change its shape in bright and dark room and require time to recharge. I wondered about why i couldn't see in the dark right away and slowly gain the vision, but, I never thought of it this way. Lastly, when he talks about eyeless and Pax 6 genes and how scientists can create mutant through experiments. It gives me a chill as if I was reading science fiction, yet, all these things are actually possible. And if also got me an idea that if those genes were placed in different area of our bodies from the beginning we could have been born in mutant form, believing that it is normal.

chapter. 10
Why is it just delivering sound so complicated? So, the fact that these hearing system is composed of three bones is because we developed this ear from jaw. We might not have these ears if we stopped developing. As primitive creatures walked out to land, they required different types of hearing system for out of the water which have started the development of today's human ear. Could we have been merman/mermaid if those ancient creatures didn't creep out of the water? Also, it was interesting about the fact how fish or water creatures use inner ear structure (first, I was wondering why would they even need any kinds of ear structure at all?) to protect themselves from being eaten when humans developed "external" ear structure.

chapter. 11
So basically, Shubin wrapped up everything he talked about in throughout the book. It was interesting how he went over one part of the body at a time. His connection of our bodies to the zoo was humorous how we are connected to all the other animals in someway or another. Moreover, as he was going over why we LOVE fatty foods, it kind of broke my heart (in jocular way). I bet everyone giggled for once when Shubin displayed the diagram of bozo family and how it originated from non-humorous couples. To finish the thought, this book was pretty twisting compare to what I have thought it would be in the beginning. I heard from many of my friends how boring it is, but then, not everything is boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment