Friday, August 19, 2011

ch. 8, 9, 10, 11. FInal Entry

Chapter 8: This chapter was basically explaining about our noses and how we have the ability to smell. It was interesting to see how our vision and scent are connected. What I learned in this chapter is that humans devote about 3 percent of our genome to odor genes. I enjoyed reading this chapter because it was concise and straight to the point.

Chapter 9: In chapter 9, which was about vision, it gave me a review about the things I mostly knew. For example, I always knew that the things we saw were somewhat processed through our minds and Shubin said that much of the processing of the images we see actually happen inside our brains. In this chapter, I saw that more than comparing the similarities of animals, Shubin pointed out the different characteristics of eyes organisms possess. It was alwaso interesting to learn that we use different opsins to see in black and white and in color. However, some animals use different opsins from us which explains why we all see a different intensity of color.

Chapter 10: As I expected, chapter 10 was about ears. This was very fun to read because as i read i felt a relation to what Shubin said. I learned that our ears had a relation to our balance. I knew that our ears were very sensitive and as for me, I have serious motion sickness when I ride a plane, boat, or even car for long periods of time which is why I always wore an ear patch that helped me get rid of my motion sickness. It all makes sense now.

Chapter 11: The last chapter was very difficult for me to pull through and finish. Shubin was so detailed in all his examples that sometimes I found myself getting lost. It was interesting to read about all the diseases that humans so commonly possess and the reason why we love fatty foods. I also never knew fishes get hiccups too and how it comes from our throat. Overall, this chapter helped me learn so many new things about myself and different organisms we all live among. I learned that it is crucial to learn more about your own body and how you function. This book has prepared me for what i will be learning this school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment