Saturday, August 20, 2011

Chapters: 8, 9, 10, and 11

Chapter 8: Making Scents
The chapter begins with the understanding of DNA, and how to extract it. I have extracted DNA in my 9th grade biology class, it was pretty fun. It was weird knowing the white goo was DNA. Is that what DNA really looks like? Afterwards he talks about smells or scents. How it is a survival mechanism in order to avoid gross, or disgusting things. When he talked about the how smell works I was surprised how the body does it so fast that you don't even feel a thing. This chapter helped me review and learn some new concepts.
Chapter 9: Vision
Well obviously this chapter is about the EYE! As usual the brain is the base where information is fed and is given back to the organ. He then gives a description of the eye and how it works. He then talks about tissues and how it gives us different flavors of animals. One is the invertebrates the other is vertebrates. He also talks about genes and how the mutations affect the animal, in this case the eyes.
Chapter 10: Ears
This chapter well talks about ears. I liked this chapter, it helped me review ears and learn something about the origin of the ear, of how it started with the jellyfish. It taught me a lot more about the ear and what it is made of.
Chapter 11: The Meaning of It All
This chapter basically recounts what was said in all the other chapters. It is the perfect conclusion because it ends the book making the reader understand what the purpose of this book was and how nature works. We know why he wrote and why things are the way they are. I really enjoyed this book, I didn't know I would. I learned a lot from this book and can't wait to use this knowledge in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment