Saturday, August 13, 2011

CH. 7 Adventures in Bodybuilding

The analogy that Shubin made at the beginning of the chapter left me in awe. The way he describes an animal being formed from an embryo and comparing it to the construction of a house was incredible. It's astonishing how each cell, even though they don't have individual brains, are able to conduct themselves to the extent of cooperating with the rest of the body in order to make a living being's form. Under the Digging Up Bodies section, I found it interesting when Shubin explained how the millions and millions of years that this Earth has in its history could be found in single-celled creatures. The diagram on page 121 was a great way for me to see an outline of when our most earliest ancestors lived in up until now (I find it difficult to fathom the fact that humans have been around for sooo long!). When Shubin was discussing how our being depends all upon the microscopic cells that make up our bones, muscles, etc, I couldn't help but look at myself and wonder how such puny things could be what constructs, me. I got excited when reaching the Bodybuilding For Blobs section because whenever I though about the beginning of life, I always thought of blobs so finally being able to read about this idea was definitely an attention-grabber. I wish the diagram on page 134 showed what placozoans looked like, along with the Choanoflagellates and sponges. For the first time, I must admit that reading the end of the chapter was more fun for me than the beginning and middle like usual. Shubin left me thirsty for more with his final sentence, "Life would never be the same." Expecting an amazing reading for next week(:

No comments:

Post a Comment