Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Chapter 6: The Best-Laid (Body) Plans

This chapter kicked off to a promising start from the very first paragraph. The last few sentences on page 100 that describe the complications a blastocyst may face left me shocked because all of the rarer cases sounded extremely painful. I couldn't help but laugh at the "YOU ARE HERE" arrow, though. It reminded me of a mall map...
Hans Spemann and Hilde Mangold definitely piqued my interest because of what they were trying to discover. I would be surprised if someone hasn't asked themselves at least once "how does the embryo know to develop different parts of a body?" Their experiments really were incredible. Mainly because of the results, but still incredible nonetheless. I think it's interesting to be able to actually understand what makes us grow from something so small. I think the way Shubin presented the information was very helpful; he worked his way up from a simple idea and expanded it, which helped me connect everything together.
In regards to the last few pages: It's intriguing to know that a sea anemone has a hox gene as well, because they look and function differently than a human. I'm surprised somebody would be smart enough to even want to attempt to find similarities in us compared with a sea anemone or jellyfish...

No comments:

Post a Comment