Tuesday, August 2, 2011

7) Adventures in Bodybuilding

This chapter was about Shubin going to the gym everyday to workout to pump them muscles... to tell us about how single celled organisms became eventually us! I don't think he went to the gym or even went to workout either. Whatever. He does make clever titles though.

When I was first reading this, I was like... how does something so small become us...? He then started talking about bones and I thought he was going off on a tangent... like he completely forgot about that "glue" he keeps talking about. I didn't know where he was going with that idea until he writes about the formation of bones, with the collagen, cartilage, and the proteoglycan why you so complex.

Sounds fun to watch a blob mutate into a sponge in the experiment Wilson did. Cool, but I still didn't get how a cell came to have a body... until that experiment of the alga by Martin Borass and his peeps... a big oh x h²³ moment for me. But then he's like... wait. Something's missing. Whaaaaat. Great. There's more.

Guess I'm going to have to read more to make more scents of this (Did I win?).

Epic cell time.
More cells. (Inside joke)

- Keith Choison

No comments:

Post a Comment