Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Chapter 6- "The Best-Laid (Body) Plans

This chapter was different from the others in a sense that Shubin described the common architecture of all living organisms. In the other chapters, he explained the genetic structure, fossil finding, and history of various animals. Chapter 6 was interesting to me because Shubin compared our body structure to those of flies and jellyfishes. The idea of "mutant flies" was new to me because I wasn't aware of how scientists could manipulate the parts of the embryo to duplicate its wings or other parts of its body.
I was also surprised at the discovery of Hox genes in very diverse organisms. Who knew that creatures as different as flies and mice could be made up of the same genes? That concept struck me. Then, the developments of the Organizer and the gene Noggin really helped me visualize what types of things are inside of and how they function in off-on interactions. Last, I really admired the simile Shubin used at the end of the chapter because it opened my mind and inspired my imagination. "Like a cake recipe passed down from generation to generation-with enhancements to the cake in each-the recipe that builds our bodies has been passed down, and modified, for eons."

No comments:

Post a Comment