Saturday, July 24, 2010

[ch5] getting ahead

Every time I read new chapter, I learn similarity between human beings and other creatures. Shubin states that "there is a pattern common to every skull on earth, whether it belongs to a shark, a bony fish, a salamander, or a human." Additionally, I was alarmed to know that human and shark have a similar jaws.
Even though I couldn't memorize everything about and skull and brain, I understood the functions of fundamental parts such as think, plates, blocks, and rods. What made me fascinating and still memorable is that "a single branch of facial nerve can carry information about both sensation and action." I once again realize how amazing and complex a human body is. Comparing human to worm can seem inane, but we cannot deny the fact that "the essence of our head goes back to worms."
I enjoy reading this book because it makes me keep wonder about the origin of universe. I constantly argue within myself to state with logic, but it is not easy. How on earth would I know the truth if scientists still dispute about it?

1 comment:

  1. Me too Jeffrey! I had an onerous time understanding the different functions and arches. Isn't this book supposed to be encouraging us to become aspiring biologists? Well I think not because this chapter made my brain twist and turn.

    P.S.
    Hi Jeffrey!

    ReplyDelete