Thursday, July 29, 2010

Chapter 6, When we were Tubes.

This chapter got me thinking about a different career choice. Architecture. As Shubin talks about how the body is laid out from a single blastocyst, it really fascinates me how this tiny structure eventually shapes who we are and what we look like. If you think about it, at one point of our creation, everyone looks exactly the same, and then the codes in our DNA shape who we become differently. The other thing that really got me thinking was the fact that just by moving a small patc of tissue in the embryo, you can create twins. It's also crazy that we have 39 Hox genes which we can use to relate our bodies to practically any other creature on earth. Shubin does it in detail with flies. I was flipping throught the pages of the book ahead, and I found that the other chapters that are coming up seem to be a little more interesting, so I'm looking forward to that.
, Anany

No comments:

Post a Comment