Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Chapter 6 - Double Tube

Shubin, you still fascinate me everytime I read your book, even if it is at 12:10 a.m. This chapter focused on how the body is developed and how the different sections of it don't duplicate itself, etc. All our organs are developed from three important layers of tissue that appears in our second week after conception: the ectoderm, endoderm, and mesoderm. I did not know that these three layers of tissue could form all our organs. CRAZY STUFF. What also made me go, "whattt?!" is the part where Shubin explains that we are a tube inside a tube in development. I could not imagine myself as a tube. He then goes on to explain what activates this body development. Many genes act together to organize the body plan. For example, the Noggin gene turns off signals in cells that would make it a "bottom" cell while another gene does the complete opposite. This section and the part where he talked about Hox genes took me a little bit longer than usual to understand, however. Overall, this chapter was very interesting as usual!

-BryanMunar

No comments:

Post a Comment