Friday, July 30, 2010

Chapter Six: The Best-Laid Body Plans

As everyone has mentioned, this chapter was about the similarities we share with other species when it comes to our body development. I found it really interesting to read about the three germ layers. It's fascinating yet strange how the three layers work the same magic in all different types of species. As I kept reading, Shubin mentioned how the Organizer is similar to the things he talked about in Chapter 3, and thats when I got confused. If someone can clarify, I'm just confused about the differences between the Organizer, ZPA, and the Sonic Hedgehog Gene... Though I got confused, I always find it interesting to read about the experiments scientists have done. I have major props to Hilde Mangold with her experiment on the salamander embryo, she certainly did have some skill to do that. Also, reading about the fly mutations was cool, espcially seeing the diagrams. I don't think I will ever be able to express how much I love the pictures and diagrams Shubin puts in the chapters.

-Ellie Chung

No comments:

Post a Comment