Friday, July 30, 2010

chapter 6

So this chapter managed to get a bit technical again which threw me off for a while. I found it fascinating how so many different types of beings are so similar in their earlier stages. It is amazing how three simple layers, the ectoderm, endoderm, and mesoderm can link us together with all other living beings. The experiments conducted by Hilde Mangold really reminded me of chapter three and all the experiments done on the shark and chicken eggs. Also once again the whole idea of animal testing didn't really fly by me, but the information gathered through it was rather interesting. The one thing that really freaked me out in this chapter was the mention of blastocyst implanting in the wrong place. I think the whole description of a baby being formed inside the mothers cavity or fallopian tubes made me a little sick. Why was this even relevant to the topic of how our body is formed? The final thing i found interesting was the mutation within the flies. Creating a whole population of mutant flies in order to figure out the genetic mutation that causes it was very innovative and the out come was fascinating. I thought it was amazing how our body lined itself up into a pattern of genes that conduct the formation of out structure so our head is in the front and our anus is in the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment