Friday, July 30, 2010

Hearing

Well, this chapter was a little bitter sweet for me, because although it was short, it's the last of the short ones. I looked ahead to the last one, and it's super long, so I've decided to read it tomorrow rather than to finish it today. This chapter was pretty cool though. I saw it as kind of the link between our origins from fish to mammal. It was pretty interesting to learn that we have three inner ear bones versus the one that many other animals have, for example, reptiles or most fish. Most of the amazement I used to get from learning that bones moved and changed over time has kind of worn of since the beginning of the book, but it's pretty interesting that our ear bones have transformed from being used for chewing to helping us hear. I also liked the explanation that Shubin gave about the inebriated person, so know I know why drunk people get spins, lose their balance, and get hangovers. Finally some useful knowledge! Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment