Saturday, July 24, 2010

Chapter Five: Getting Ahead

This chapter for me was the most confusing. As I was reading, I kept getting confused with the trigemal and facial nerves plus the four arches. After reading the chapter about 5 times (maybe more), I began to understand what Shubin was explaining. What helped me the most was his analogy to the construction on wires inside the wall. That description helped me imagine what Shubin was looking at those two nights before his Anatomy Final. At the same time, I remembered something that I had once saw at the Body World Exhibit a long time ago. As I recall, I was looking inside a head split in half, and I think I was looking at what Shubin was describing. I remember seeing something wire-like going in twists and loops. It freaked the bejeezus out of me, but it was something I will never forget.

I also loved how Shubin took our connection with species one step further, by connecting us to worms. After reading the worm part, I suddenly realized I was eating Gummy Worms and soon didn't feel like eating them anymore since I felt like I was eating what seems to me something of a cousin to human beings. To me, it's fascinating how we can find similarities with things we never even thought before. Who would of thought that the worms we see everyday relate to us human beings with the development of our heads.

-Ellie Chung

3 comments:

  1. Ellie, I totally agree with you on the analogy Shubin used to describe his construction on wires inside the wall. This analogy was easy to realte to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of people think this chapter was confusing because of all the archs and their functions and what developments relate to the archs. What I did was highlight (easy to locate the section talking about archs/functions) each arch and their function in the book; this really helped me understand what the archs are and what they do. Maybe that can help you too.

    - Ejay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a good idea, thanks Ejay !

    ReplyDelete