Friday, July 30, 2010

Chapter 6 : The Best - Laid (Body) Plans

I actually kind of liked this chapter. Again its interesting how Shubin compares the human body with animals that are completely different from us. I like how Shubin talks about embryos and how they look generally alike. I learned how all the embryos have three layers and that got me thinking. I though that how can we be so different when we all start out the same? But then Shubin explains it thoroughly which helped me to understand it. In "experimenting with embryos" I was even more fascinated when Shubin started talking about Spemann's experiment with the salamander embryo and his daughter's hair. This was so interesting because I remember my freshman year in Mr. Tisor's class, he show us a video that visualized this experiment. I was like WHOA I know this! And just by moving a tissue from one embryo to another could make a twin? This was truly amazing. I wonder what would happen if you put a tissue inside of a tissue inside of another tissue. Then would that make a triplet? When the book started to talk about flies, I kind of lost my interest because they are so annoying and I don't know why flies even exist. But the Hox genes kind of sounds cool because they organize your body plans. I just thought that when Shubin compared us to a sea anemones, that sounded weird because I still don't think we are that similar. This chapter overall was an interesting chapter and I liked all the fascinating information.

- Joo Won Jang

No comments:

Post a Comment