Saturday, July 24, 2010

Head Over Heels

Shubin has ventured into uncharted waters for many of us. And by this I mean that he is staying true to his educated side. His use of medical terms and big vocabulary is a bit overwhelming, but I'm sure all of us AP students will cope.
Now, this was a short yet complex chapter. Getting ahead focused on our current anatomy rather than our evolution throughout time. It was extremely interesting to read about our bodily correlations to sharks. While in utero our bodies have distinct similarities to sharks. Our bodies have four arches that later develop into prominent facial features. In understanding a sharks simpler version of these arches, we can begin to grasp our more complex arches.
I've always found anatomy and physiology to be considerably interesting. This gives me a better understanding of my own body and how it came to be. The ability for our bodies to separate two like systems and establish two different functions is something I would like to divulge into later. In addition, I loved learning about Amphioxus, and how it's notochord became part of the disks that separate each vertebrate in our spines. I'll admit that this chapter was boring compared to the more monumental topics like how teeth are responsible for the existence of our major organs. Then again, this book isn't all too fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment