Saturday, July 31, 2010

Chapter 6 - the best-laid (body) plans

Shubin writes how one shouldn't bother about comparing our body to a sponge. I find that to be a quite obvious observation. As Shubin was amazed by the transformation of cells into birds and such, I also found myself to be amazed and fascinated by this evolution. I also found it interesting that the same three layers helped produce every animal organ, even including the organs and parts of our very own body.

I think it was nice that Shubin explained how we all started out from one cell and then kept multiplying into what we are today. It makes me feel more appreciative toward the miracle of life. At first, I was confused about being a tube inside a tube. However, the picture on the next page definitely helped me understand what Shubin was saying.

Just like the biologists were wondering questions about bodies and their structures, I also had the same kinds of questions running through my head; where do the embryos learn how to build themselves? I was amazed when I read about Mangold and how she was able to change how embryos built themselves by moving the Organizer of another egg onto this egg.

I think it was very interesting that our DNA basically dictates how we look, and if our genes are messed up, then our body plan is messed up as well. I never knew that the Hox genes determine how big parts of our body are as well. I kind of see where Shubin is coming from when he says we are like frogs, especially when he compares us to jellyfish. I think the most important thing I learned in this chapter is that we all have the same body plan; some are just more detailed than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment