Thursday, July 22, 2010

Turn that depressor anguli oris upside down!

Once again, Shubin relates his personal experiences to the concepts he deeply explains throughout the chapter. Reading the first sentence of the chapter sure made me love how we're not in school YET... not having to be in his shoes studying for our finals two nights before.
I really like how even though there are many fundamental aspects to how the brain functions, Shubin explains each function thoroughly and briefly at the same time. I was aware that the functions of the brain is complex.. but not to the point where it seems as if the connection of each part goes on and on and on and on. I was a bit confused reading this chapter because i felt as if there were repetitive functions, but the fact that there was so many of them made my level of understanding fluctuate back and forth. However, this did not prevent me from continuing on and endeavoring to understand as much as I can.. taking advantage of the diagrams Shubin has illustrated as well as creating mental pictures in my head about what Shubin is trying to portray. The starting point of my confusion is when Shubin started talking about the four arches and all that good jazz. But what i DID find quite interesting was when Shubin brought up that the arches and creases/lumps on OUR head are the same arches that can be found in a shark's brain. Also, I like how he tries to explain the concepts by relating a real life situation to the concept. Especially when he brought up that in order to understand the plunbing and wiring of his building, we would have to understand the foundation of its history, and how it was built for each new generation of scientists. He compares the complexity of his building to the trigeminal and the facial nerves.
Overall, I liked encountering the new information Shubin comes across throughout the chapter, although it was confusing, I still have a basic idea of what Shubin tried to depict

No comments:

Post a Comment