Thursday, July 29, 2010

Chapter 6 - The Best-laid (body) Plans

The beginning of this chapter was really boring as Shubin started out speaking about the similarities between human bodies and the bodies of animals. Most of this I had already known. As I continued reading, the chapter became surprisingly interesting as Shubin began speaking about the 3 layers of tissue in the embryos that humans share with animals,how each layer created different body parts such as the heart, brain, and skeleton, and how the embryo changes to a tube within a tube. I also found it interesting how the embryo developed inside a woman's body. This was something I didn't really know at all. I also found this chapter somewhat funny when Shubin spoke about how it's possible to mess with an animal's Hox genes and alter the animals body.

No comments:

Post a Comment