Saturday, July 31, 2010

Chapter Six: The Best-Laid (Body) Plan

Chapter 6 was the best chapter so far! :) I enjoyed it, and it did not feel like I was being forced too. Even with all this new information, everything was so interesting! Tiny little embryos turn in to animals with trillions of cells. Wow. I like how Shubin talked about the germ layers; it was easy to understand. Shubin also talks about the "ball of cells" that form after conception; it weird how we're lucky to have "our ball of cells implanted in our mother's utereus" (100). LUCKY?! The description of having the fetus develop fully in the rectum or uterus is so sad :(

Specmann's experiment fascinated me; he formed fully developed, normal, salamander TWINS. Just by "pinching one side off from the other" (105). Mangold's experiments were also pretty cool :) How she took patches "where the three germ layers were moving and folding". The picture reminded me of Tetris (everything reminds me of Tetris :( ) The Organizer and Noggin play differnte roles in development; its interesting how genes work together and how they turn off and on.

This chater was fun! :) But I didn't really understand the sae anemone part. Didn't he say in the beginning that we can't even compare humans and jellyfish?!

P.S I want to see a mutant fly!

1 comment:

  1. Iris I totalyy agree with you, I find it cool that all the genes work together to accomplish their goal! hahah. Iris I also found the idea of a mutant fly interesting and I totally want to see one too! lol.

    ReplyDelete