Friday, July 23, 2010

Chapter 5- Getting Ahead

Once again, I am baffled by how much I have yet to realize about certain parts of our bodies such as our heads in chapter 5. Although I had always known that our heads was one of the most complex parts of our bodies, I had no idea how complex Shubin was about to make them in this chapter. His description of the overlapping nerves and the development of those nerves to the embryos was the first description that made clear to me how much detail there is to our heads. I was able to learn about the origins of our heads and its development from the start in the womb. The chapter was very simple to understand when it came to its explanation of the development in different bones, muscles, nerves, and arteries that are in our heads.

The images and diagrams in this chapter was very helpful and probably my most favorite part about reading through the chapter. I wouldn't have known how similar the shark embryo and the human embryo were if it wasn't for the pictures. Just words would have not done the similarity justice, and because of that I am grateful that Shubin includes pictures are part of his writing. Also, he makes connections and relations between us and other animals to make it easier to understand the structures that there are in common, such as the shark and the formations in our heads. This chapter was an amusing chapter that was an easy and light read full of interesting connections between humans and other animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment