Saturday, July 31, 2010

[ch6] The Best-Laid (Body) Plans

Reading chapter6 was fascinating, but I was overwhelmbed by the massive amount of new information that was introduced in this chapter. What I found interesting is that finding basic design in primitive animals is more difficult than complex looking creatures. Unless you already know or you are lacking common sense, I believe that it is impossible to actually think primative creatures have more complicated basic design. Anyway, lots of biologists were introduced in this chapter: Baer, Pander, Mangold, and Spemann. Above all, I was mostly surprised to know about Mangold's discovery of Organizer, patch of tissue containing all information. However, I was somewhat disappointed at the lack of specific description on how the discovery contributed in the future biology field.

Jeffrey Jun

No comments:

Post a Comment