Friday, July 30, 2010

Ch6. The Best-Laid (Body) Plans

I was a bit confused upon reading this chapter the first time, but after taking my time reading over it, I think I sort of understand what Shubin is talking about. However, I am still confused about the relationship between the Organizer and other genes such as the Noggin. Is the Noggin a type of Organizer gene that works with other Organizer genes?
The thing I found most interesting about the chapter was that scientists have been studying mutant flies for over one hundred years! Shubin describes the mutant flies as if it is common to see one. Perhaps the next time before I swat the fly in my house, I'll check if its mutated or not. I was surprised how a sea anemone has the same type of Noggin as land dwellers, even it being interchangeable among embryos. Also I was surprised how moving an Organizer from one embryo to another could form twins. Does the embryo missing the Organizer still develop though?Reading this chapter really left me with a lot of questions, something that was not characteristic of the other chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment