Thursday, July 22, 2010

Chapter 5: Getting Ahead

Mr. Shubin, so far, never fails to intrigue me with interesting facts. I had no idea that there were so many cables inside the head, and that anesthetics function to deaden the sensation of different parts of the tooth. As i kept on reading, I find myself lost in his words, especially about the nerve cables and how they make unnecessary adjustments and additions. Then as he slowly began to explain, I had an epiphany that the cables came because of the adaptations of the body. Goodness gracious, how conveniently surprising.
However, I am lost again because he suddenly shifts from brain cables to arches. And the arches are so weird. It's interesting how four arches determine the shapes and functions of different parts of the body. What's even more interesting is how there are "levels of the spinal cord that associated with each part of our body" (Shubin 89).
I find it very intriguing how turning genes on and off at certain instances changes whole features. However, the explanation from Mr. Shubin is very hard to understand. There's so many different things going on, so many different nerves and so many different events that it was hard to take it all in.
So many things became blurs and blips, except that I know now that our ancient heads sucked in water for the sole purpose of filtering out food. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment