Saturday, July 24, 2010

Chapter Five

This chapter took me the longest time to read so far, because there were lots of anatomy’s terms that I did not know. So I needed to spend lots of extra time to found out the meaning of those terms (YA YA! I have learned new words!). Of course, the picture on page 83 helped me to understand more about the bones in our heads, because sometimes I have to read through more than twice to really understand that Neil Shubin was actually talking about.

Also, I think that the facial nerve is really important to us, because “the facial nerve also controls muscles and relays sensory information. As its name implies, it is the main nerve that controls the muscles of facial expression” (85). If a person don’t have facial nerve, it will be really difficult to find out that he or she is truly happy, sad, or anger, when the person says “I am really mad at you”. Besides, I learn that if I see uneven smile or asymmetrical drooping eyelids on his or her face, these are the signs that something might be wrong with his or her facial nerve on one side or his or her face. So next time, I will probably pay more attention on people’s facial expression, and maybe I might discover the illness before he or she find it. I think this is a great chapter to me, because it has many information and knowledge about our bones, nerves, and gill arches.

No comments:

Post a Comment