Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chapter 1: "Your Inner Fish" and Chapter 2: Getting a Grip


Chapter 1: Your Inner Fish
When I first discovered I had to read this book, I wasn't very excited. I underestimated this book "Your Inner Fish" by Neil Shubin. I thought it was going to be just like a textbook, filled with too much information and very tedious. However, this book is a very lucid and clear. It is definitely interesting. This book is an overview of what I learned in my freshman Biology class. I'm glad that I've learned many of the concepts and information beforehand, so I can enjoy and understand in full detail of this book.


I was very intrigued when Neil Shubin discovered the new-found fish named "Tiktaalik". I was intrigued of the detailed description of the newly discovered specimen. Especially how this wonderful creature conveyed how fish were gradually evolving to amphibians. This discovery is appealing to me how fish can evolve into something much bigger over time.


 I think that Shubin is a very dedicated and diligent paleontologist. Planning where to dig is difficult and extremely long because the desired fossils may not even be lying there. When Shubin was to go to the Arctic to discover evidence of the shift from fish to land-living animal, I felt undying pain because the Artic is vast and empty, and what they were desperately looking for was only four feet long. It takes someone as dedicated as Shubin to work this hard to find their desired treasure.


I'm looking forward to reading more!


Chapter 2: Getting a Grip
In the second chapter, "Getting a Grip," I really found it interesting how humans and animals have such close connections. Shubin talks about how the limbs, arms, legs, etc of animals is those of humans. It's amazing how closely related we are to these animals and the structures of our bodies is very alike. The diagrams are in full-detail which is beneficial to my understanding of the bone structures and such. 


The diagram on page 31 is great for visualizing what Neil Shubin is trying to explain.
This diagram contains the animals and their bone structures and the similarity between such animals. For example, seals, penguins, bats, etc use the same bone function as humans which consists of the humerus, ulna, radius, and the wrist bones and digits. I find this very exciting!


 The diagram of the Tiktaalik on page 39 is quite interesting because  it's odd to see a fish with a wrist. Especially how it was part fin and part limb in which explains how they are evolving into a different species. 


I found it hilarious how the Tiktaalik was capable of doing push-ups due to its body structure consisting of a shoulder, elbow, and wrist composed of the same bones as an upper arm, forearm, and wrist in a human.


-Stacey KIm

No comments:

Post a Comment