Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chapter Four;

In my opinion, this chapter was the most uninteresting so far. It took me the whole day just to get through the chapter because it didn't catch my attention as much as the first three chapters.

The first interesting thing Shubin stated was that mammals' fossils and their origins can be traced through just one tooth. But other than that, reading about Shubin working with "Bill and Chuck" really wanted me to put the book down and not read at all.

Thankfully, by the end of the chapter more scientific observations and facts were being stated. For some reason, Shubin's excavations do not really interest me but more of how he explains his findings and how they affect evolution help me think & reflect about how life and the human body work today.

"It turns out that exactly the same process underlies the development of all the structures that develop within skin: scales, hair, feathers, sweat glands, even mammary glands" (78).
This is fact number two that got me thinking. How can teeth develop just like these other things in a living organism. Skin is softer than a tooth, but they develop the same? It amazes me how these changes relate but they're still so different. This may be one of the things I do not get, but still want to try and figure out.

-Briana Fauni

No comments:

Post a Comment