Saturday, August 13, 2011

Ch. 7 : Adventures in Bodybuilding

I never knew how amazing it is for a cell to hold all the architectural plan in building an animal body. Shubin surprised me again when he made me realize the outstanding way bodybuilding works by comparing the building of a body to the building of a house and making me imagine a house coming together spontaneously with just from the information in bricks.
His use of making the reader imagine, is incredible. I was able to fully understand what he was explaining through a thought experiment. For example, Shubin used the 'taking away a cell from the bacteria and a cell from an animal or human.' I was able to see the huge difference between the two different body of cells.
I am surprised to hear that the theory Shubin has about why bodies have come in the first place, is so that microbes were developing new ways to eat each other or avoid being eaten. When I first read that, I laughed, but now that I think about another reason why bodies were formed in the first place, I can see that that is the best theory. I enjoyed the experiment he mentioned about the alga responding to a predator by forming clumps of cells.
I enjoyed chapter 7 about body building. I learned and read about new theories and experiments that I never knew before. I don't think I will see my body the same way as before I read this chapter and I hope to see/test the theories that I have read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment