Saturday, August 13, 2011

Chapter Seven: Adventures In Bodybuilding

Chapter seven was about when the bodies arose, how they came about, and why there are bodies. SHubin started the chapter with an experience in his graduate career. His anecdote about dying cells and bones drew my attention reminding me of one of the previous labs in science class when I was in junior high. Our class did that lab to see how the cell actually develops to be divide. In that Shubin's experiment and my lab has a similarity that they both deal with development of cells, I could easily be absorbed in this chapter. He found the origin of all lives in just a single-celled creature. According to him, as the communication system between cells progresses the creatures developed into more complicated beings like humans. In the middle of the explanation about single-celled creature's evolution, he mentioned the analogy of the "earth year" which was one of the most intriguing part in this chapter. That the time the creatures has lived on earth is only about 1/365 of the entire time that the earth has created made me aghast. I wish human beings can continue to live until our proportion takes about half of the earth's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment