Friday, August 12, 2011

Chapter 6

Currently I am on vacation and the last thing I wanted to do was read about the body and write a blog about it. While I started reading the chapter I was in a sour mood and wanted to get it over with. I felt very impatient with Shubin because I felt like he was repeating himself when he was explaining how embryos all look the same early on. The three layers reminded me in a way of the the four arches back in the last chapter. Each layer corresponds to a specific layer of the body. I winced while reading the part where he explained different things that could go wrong during pregnancy. Yeah I never want kids...Anyways getting back to the main point (if there ever was one) I got really interested with the experiments with embryos. I thought it was really cool how the scientists made random animals have two heads. I always wondered how scientists know what to experiment on and how to note when something worthwhile happened or to simply dismiss it. I found the discovery of HOX genes interesting because the scientists used flies to compare to humans. I found it amazing how they were able to connect the complex human body to the simple structure of a sea anemone. After reading that I just had to think of the Finding Nemo joke that Marlon tells in it. Yeah good stuff so bless your face and if you sneezed during the middle of this blog of the body then bless you. Peace off!

No comments:

Post a Comment