Thursday, August 4, 2011

8) Making Scents

This chapter made scents and was fairly easy to understand compared to others. Okay, I'll stop that now.

With this chapter, I was able to learn the science behind why no one wants to use the running machines next to the one I'm using probably because of our smell receptors (I'm kidding). And probably why a woman gave me a breath mint the other day (actually happened... but it was out of kindness. If anything, she gave me candy too.).

And as I saw it coming, fishes. Them fishes I eat everyday have the same smelling systems as us, cool, like that diagram in this chapter he put, from jawless fish to us.

And genes? I never knew that 3% of our genome is dedicated to smell but we don't use it all... because we traded it for vision... Guess why dogs have better smelling than us... and why we use their "emphasized" smelling for tasks such as tracking escapees... I've been watching too much Breakout (prison reality show on National Geographic) lately...

Makes sense... makes a lot of scents.

Okay I'm done.

- Keith Choison

No comments:

Post a Comment