Saturday, August 6, 2011

Ch 6: The Best-Laid (Body) Plans

This chapter was confusing cause it went over so many details and the whole part about the genes of the flies and the Hox genes made it more confusing. But it was interesting to see how everything came together in the end to connect the human body plan to the body plan of a sea anemone. I enjoyed reading about the embryo and its early stage of development and how embryos of different animals share the three germ layers. The diagrams helped me understand when he talked about the tube within tube structure that animals with a backbone share. I learned that there are set organs that are made from each of the three layers. Something I didnt understand was what happened to the egg 1 when the Organizer was removed from it, and how the organizer from a chicken can create a twin salamander when the dna in the cells in the organizer are for the chicken. I found the Hox genes interesting because of its importance in building bodies and because it also connects all the animals with a body. I learned that the interaction of genes like the Noggin and the BMP4 are super important in the forming of bodies as well. So overall, I learned that we share vaguely similar body plan genes as those of sea anemones.
-Sarah You (:

No comments:

Post a Comment