Saturday, August 6, 2011

Chapter 6: The Best-Laid (Body) Plans

This chapter basically goes into further depth from the last chapter. Instead of just focusing on what made the head of each species during the the embryotic stage (which I found extremely interesting) I also got to learn how the body was made up. There also seemed to be more to each specie embryo then just arches but instead they had three layers of tissue: ectoderm, enotherm, and mesoderm. They eventually make up the skin, nervous system, organs, guts etc. which was interesting because I really did not know that there were layers or arches. I had just assumed that the body knew what to do and there were no questions about it. But I never knew why the body automatically followed those instructions.

DNA I knew played an obvious role of which gene gets to be in the body...but I did not know about the Hox gene which determined the proportions of our bodies IE. the shape of the chest or head and where they were supposed to go. To get even more in depth there were also the Noggin gene and the BMP-4. Those genes determined which part of the body was the front and which was the back...they each turned itself off when the other one was working. I had no idea that had occurred during the embroytic stage...it answered my question of what exactly happened during that stage of my life. As well I am also glad he had compared humans to invertebrates to see if there were some similarities that could pinpoint how invertebrates work. This was an interesting chapter to read and I look forward to more.

Chioma

No comments:

Post a Comment