Saturday, August 6, 2011

Chapter 6: The Best-Laid (Body) Plans

Neil Shubin has showed me that human 's basic architecture is similar to those of many other organisms, such as fish, lizards, and cows. Although we may differ from the structures of sponges or jellyfishes, all the organisms started from a generally similar place. It was fascinating to discover that most of the developing embryos show similar layers of development even though the species end up looking totally different. Through the comparison made by Von Baer, he discovered that each animal organ originated from each of the layers. It was interesting to find that we had similarities to a species that doesn't even look a bit like ourselves. I didn't even think a sea anemones and I would have anything in common. However, when i read this chapter, I was able to realize that there is a " common genetic recipe" for every animal body.
I learned a lot from this chapter and I'm looking forward to reading chapter 7. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment