Friday, July 22, 2011

4. Teeth Everywhere

It was evident that this chapter would discuss teeth based on the title alone, and since teeth are the least interesting part of our body, I knew ahead of time that this would be a tedious read for me. However, I found out that that was not necessarily the case. It was actually fascinating how the developmental tools that make teeth have been repurposed to make other essential skin structures, thus showing the link between very different organs of the human body.

I also liked how a bit of humor was added between the dry information like when Shubin described ostracoderms as hamburgers with fleshy tails... Moreover, the recap of all the previous chapters was useful in understanding the theme of how we can trace the same organ in different creatures, and by the end of chapter 4, I realize that Shubin's belief that the diverse inhabitants of the world are variations on a theme is plausible.

No comments:

Post a Comment