Thursday, July 28, 2011

Chapter 5: Getting Ahead

This chapter was one of the more confusing ones for me. Shubin definitely captured my attention with his anecdote at the beginning of the chapter, where he was in a room full of dead bodies. It gave me the willies, and I laughed out loud when he said he left his keys in the lab. However, when he started talking about the arches, I got a little lost. His diagrams and illustrations helped me to understand what he was talking about, which is basically that our initial construction of our head is similar to that of a shark's.
One thing I really liked reading about was the different kinds of nerves, particularly the facial nerve. I found it pretty cool to know a few of the specific muscles that control our facial expressions, like furrowing our brow and such. I also really liked how he said that, even though our heads seem as complicated as tangled fishing lines, it could all be traced back to the plates, blocks, and rods that basically make it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment