Friday, July 29, 2011

Chapter 5: Getting Ahead

This chapter caught my attention right from the beginning, with Shubin's little anecdote.

I always thought that the human head was very complicated, but Shubin explained it in a simple way, so I understood what he was talking about. I found the trigeminal and facial nerves interesting to read about. At first, I didn't understand why there was a separate nerve to send branches to the same region as another nerve. It made more sense if there was just one nerve to control one region in the body. But, as I read on, I understood that the arches that develop in the embryo are the reason why the cranial nerves are the way they are.

I also found it interesting that something as simple as a worm has so much in common with us. Not only do we both have nerve chords, but we both also have gill arches.

- Aarti Kumar

No comments:

Post a Comment