Tuesday, July 26, 2011

5) Getting Ahead

This chapter was about getting ahead on the head. I like how he begins by telling the reader a story about when he was in a laboratory studying for his finals only to realize he is surrounded by a bunch of dead bodies. That made me chuckle. But afterwards, he begins explaining the two nerves that were most confusing because of all the mazes that they created, connecting the jaw, the ear, and such. While he was describing that, I was confused myself. I couldn't grasp the idea of the arches he started talking about all of a sudden, but then once I saw his diagrams, I saw what he was talking about. Then he talked about them sharks and how their embryonic structures related to ours... that was pretty interesting. And genetic manipulation... a frog with 2 jaws. Cool. If sharks weren't weird enough then he starts talking about how we have similar structures to Amphioxus, which has structures completely different than us. So our brain is sort of like a wall with all its pipe-lines and wiring, eh? Then I wonder what's it not like...

- Keith Choison

No comments:

Post a Comment