Saturday, July 23, 2011

Chapter Three: Handy Genes

From the start of the chapter to the end, it was impossible for me to wrap my head around exactly how such small chromosomes can affect every aspect of our lives, and how even they could be manipulated and bent to our own wills. The idea of stem cells, cloning, or any cell manipulation really greatly interests me, as I see it as the future of technology and health sciences, bringing us all a step further. Instead of leaving evolution to nature, we could begin the process in our own laboratories, picking and choosing the best traits to enable humans to further themselves past a normal species. One thing though, along the way I'm not sure if I was paying attention at the start, as the term ZPA did and still confuses me. But nevertheless it does seem important so I'll keep it in mind. Another amusing thing was the name of the chicken mutation gene, Sonic the Hedgehog, which made me want to play my Sega Genesis all over again.
-Cameron Chear 

No comments:

Post a Comment