Sunday, July 31, 2011

Chapter Four: Teeth Everywhere

Well I believe this is an appropriate time to say I am not the biggest fan of the dentist. However, it was remarkable to think that our teeth can reveal not only what kind of food we eat but also the way in which that feeding process came about. And I can honestly say I did end up biting up and down when Shubin described our teeth being in alignment :). Also, as a sidenote, when he explains him and Chuck's walk in the deserted Arizona desert I got the feeling that paleontologists don't have the most social jobs, but on another note a very rewarding one as you can sense the excitement as he describes the mass of bone they had unveiled among the desert. Wow, and again his stories amaze me to think that they went from thinking they had found nothing special to learning they had uncovered one of the first jaws known to a part mammal and part reptile creature. The body although amazing is slightly repetative, it takes one process and from it one can inherit teeth, brests, or even feathers. My last thought is going to focus on the brief facts on conodonts, it was mind-boggling to think a jawless fish would have teeth as well. hahaha... teeth really are everywhere :)

No comments:

Post a Comment