Saturday, July 30, 2011

Chapter 5: Getting Ahead

This chapter was both the best and worst chapter and topic of the book so far.

The beginning dealt with the structure and development of the head. The body being my favorite field of biology, i was completely immersed in reading about it. Everything that shubin said surprised me and interested me. How the head looks like it is a complete jumble, yet was made in perfect design puzzled me. This is why i loved this chapter. It went into such detail about something i loved to learn about.

Then, it began to talk about the relationships between our heads and those of a shark and worm. I cannot completely grasp such an idea. To have evolved and share common ancestors with a shark and worm did not make sense to me. Yes we have common structures, but still, i believe other wise. Also, a worm neither has such a developed brain as humans, nor the same structures that we have in our heads. How could we be related in some way? This theory puzzles and surprises me. Yet, i read with an opened mind and tried hard to understand shubin's point of view, because there are things that humans and other creatures have in common, such as limbs, muscles, vertebrae and more.

This chapter was overall very interesting, mind-blowing, and controversial. I hope to continue to be intrigued and impressed by shubin and his ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment