Thursday, July 28, 2011

6) The Best-Laid (Body) Plans

Seems like the chapter-a-week routine isn't going to work now that there's a month left of summer... I'm sad. Time to step up the pace.

Anyways, this chapter? For science. I think I get it now... everything is pretty much related to everything right? I'm probably made from the same fundamental structure as the spider I squished with my foot awhile ago... accidentally of course. It's funny how he compares us with the most random-est of creatures, yet we still relate.

I thought it was pretty neat how we are able to learn about ourselves and how we are developed by messing with other organisms... like a double-headed frog after injecting extra Noggin, the Nickelodeon Jr. television channel. No, I'm kidding. But that isn't creepy at all.

It was nice of Shubin to tell me the process of being born, with the fertilized cell diagram and the "YOU ARE HERE" graphic, like I'm at a mall looking at the directory. Good since I didn't get the slightest clue when he was describing it with words. And funny how he mentions it being awkward in social situations if our anus was in our forward end. You can imagine... no, scratch that... that's disgusting. What that reminded me of was this sick demented movie I watched called The Human Centipede, where the other person's digestive tract was pulled out of his/her anus into the other person's mou... yeah. Fun stuff.

But in a serious manner, I found it amazing how we and our DNA are so similar to that of other organisms. And the Organizer... since I've never actually learned how embryos developed, until now. I liked his analogy of a cake recipe that was passed down from generation to generation, helped me picture it all.

Tickle Me Elmo.

- Keith Choison

No comments:

Post a Comment