Friday, July 22, 2011

CH4: Teeth Everywhere

In the fourth chapter of this book, Shubin shared some of his early experiences of finding fossils and the struggle he face and how much skill he has grown since then. I really enjoyed reading his story about how he had followed Chuck around because he could never find fossils while Chuck would always return with bags of them. Shubin began to describe that he suddenly began to see more than just rocks or a plant he visioned fossils such as a tooth in a glistening rock. Shubin began to gain the skill of finding a good fossil ground. It intrested me becauase I was not very informed myself of exactly how paleontologists find fossils or a place to dig, I had always thought there must be some type of profesional way to do it. However, there really isn't. Shubin also began to talk about the different type of teeth species possess and how some creatures that were thought to be reptiles, had the same construction of teeth as us humans. I began to think about how Shubin must have felt as all these things were unraveling in his life-it seems pretty amazing. It also caught my eye when Shubin said that teeth, breasts, feathers, and hair all develop from the interactions between layers of skin. Unlike the past chapters that all had titles that were very straightforward and gave an idea of what the chapter would be about, I am looking forward to what chapter 5 has in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment