Saturday, August 6, 2011

Chapter 6: The Best-Laid (Body) Plans

I thought it was somewhat interesting the way he described the embryos in the lab and how they all looked similar to each other at the beginning before they were hatched. I did not know however that chicken eggs had gill arches on them. I think its pretty cool how one experiment and findings brought on his research and thesis that he acted and studied for the next three years. It makes me think that one thing that could be random and even slightly out of the ordinary can be turned from a thought into a working thesis to study. Everything we know today was made from a single question is the way that I see it.
I thought that it was interesting that Shubin didn't talk a lot about his own encounters with the embryos and more about other scientists. I guess there is just too much information from other scientists that he couldn't fit room in for himself. This chapter was quite a historical insight into science and experiments with embryos.

No comments:

Post a Comment